JDA Studio PoliciesAll Studio Policies
As with any other activity, dance requires commitment. Missed classes can result in missed choreography and can negatively affect your performance. Dancer’s consistent attendance is critical to obtain the greatest benefit from classes, develop technical skills to their fullest, and ensure the best performance possible.
In the event that a dancer will miss class due to illness or other reason, contact the studio by calling 515.964.4340 or email the front desk to let us know. This would be considered an excused absence.
- REGISTRATION FEE — Each dancer will be charged a yearly registration fee of $20.
- RECREATIONAL STUDENT PRODUCTION FEE —A production fee is charged for every dancer participating in the Spring Production. The recreational student production fee is $85 for the first student and $77 for each subsequent sibling.
- TUITION PAYMENTS — Tuition payments are due on the first day of each month. Accounts will be considered late on the 5th and a $25 late fee will be applied, no exceptions. There is a $25 fee for all returned transactions. These fees are also non-refundable.
All JDA registration fees are non-refundable. Any cancellation, or class withdrawal from JDA, requires a two-week notice prior to the first of the month. A cancellation or withdrawal from a class received after the 15th of the month will be charged a full month’s tuition for the following month. (For example, Kelly Dancer decides to not continue with dance and informs the front desk on the 20th of the month. Kelly Dancer will be charged a full month tuition for the next month because the cancellation notice was not received before the 15th of the month.)
COSTUME POLICY & FEES
COSTUME POLICY — Because all costumes are ordered through large companies, costumes do not have a custom fit on each child. We do our very best to order the correct size based on measurements and size charts. Any and all alterations will be done at the dancer’s expense. Any costume exchanges through the costume company will have a $25 costume exchange charge applied. Additionally, parents will be allowed in the classroom while students are being measured to help ensure a proper fit.
COSTUME FEES — Costume fees will be included in the October billing statement and must be paid before November 15th, 2017. However, you may start paying these fees at any time.
Costume fees for each combo class (ages 3, 4 and 5/6) are $70. The trio classes (ages 6/7) costume is typically around $90, as we order two-piece costumes because this class performs two dances at the recital (ie. shorts and skirts, or a jacket/vest to add). All other classes are $75 for each costume.
In order for us to have our costumes well before the Spring Production, we begin placing orders in late October. Additionally, if your child is not performing in the Spring Production it is a requirement to let JDA know at the time of registration to avoid the costume and production fees.
Please keep your e-mail address updated in our systems by letting a staff member know when your address has changed. In an effort to be more green, this is the best way for JDA to contact you. All JDA monthly account statements are sent via email. Please let us know if you do not receive a monthly account statement.
FOOD & DRINKS
At Johnston Dance, food and drinks are allowed in the lobby and dressing room. Neither are allowed in the dance studios, although water is permitted. Please pick up all of your garbage as you leave the studio to keep the area clean for other dancers. If dancers do not keep the dressing room tidy during the year, food and drinks will only be allowed in the lobby.
We are happy to have your dancer participate in other performances, such as The Nutcracker, as long as they do not interfere with activities for those dancers enrolled in JDA company. Please let the JDA know if you are participating. Also please note, while we might encourage extra performances like The Nutcracker, we cannot allow dancers currently enrolled in JDA Company to take recreational dance classes at another studio.
RECREATIONAL CLASS ATTIRE & SHOE REQUIREMENTS
AGE 2-7 CLASSES
- 2 YEAR WEE DANCE — SD60 Pink (ballet shoes), pink tights & pink leotard (no unattached skirts)
- 3 YEAR COMBO — SD60 Pink (ballet shoes), 3800 CAR (tap shoes), pink tights & pink leotard (no unattached skirts)
- 4 YEAR COMBO — SD60 Pink (ballet shoes), 3800 CAR (tap shoes), pink tights & pink leotard (no unattached skirts)
- 5/6 YEAR COMBO — SD60 Pink (ballet shoes), 3800 CAR (tap shoes), pink tights & pink leotard (no unattached skirts)
- 6/7 YEAR TRIO — SD60 Pink (ballet shoes), SO388 Tan (tap shoes), SO401 Tan (jazz shoes), pink tights & pink leotard (no unattached skirts)
- BALLET/LYRICAL — SD16 Pink (ballet shoes), Black Leotard, pink tights
- HIP HOP — Glitter Sneakers (Recital Shoe)
- JAZZ/MUSICAL THEATER — SO470 Pulse Tan (jazz shoes, required), form-fitting attire
- TAP — SO388 Tan (tap shoes), form-fitting attire
STUDIO NEWS & INFORMATION
The information board in the studio lobby is where we post studio news and other events and activities happening in our dance studio. Please check the board each time you or your child attends class for any new information.
In addition, please visit the News page on our website for the latest updates and information on event and activities at JDA Studio.
We love that JDA dancers like to celebrate special events with their dance friends! If you choose to do so with your class, we ask that you bring in pre-packaged, nut-free treats. The health and safety of each student is of the utmost importance to us.
This form must be filled out each year by a parent or legal guardian for each child participating in classes at JDA. The wavier forms are due by the first day of classes. Therefore any dancer without a form on file will be emailed until a completed form is turned in.
Winter Extravaganza is held at Merle Hay Mall, in Des Moines, each December. This show is for all dancers ages 3 through 7. A $5 prop fee must be paid by October 1st. If your dancer is not able to participate, please email the studio directly and we will inform the instructor.
Johnston Dance Academy will make weather-related cancellation determinations by 2:00 PM.
JDA does not follow Johnston Schools’ cancellations. Often when school is canceled in the morning, by 2:00 PM the roads are clear, and the weather has improved and so the studio will be open for dance. Cancellation for weather will be posted by 2:00 PM on:
Please do not call the studio as the information will be available on the resources listed above after 2:00 PM.
In the event of a weather cancellation, dancers are allowed to make up any missed classes — in any class, at any time, per your convenience. As a result, this is a great chance for your dancer to try another class.
Registration is Now Open for Fall 2017-18 at JDA
Johnston Dance Academy offers classes to fit any age or level.